Turkey Basics 101: How to Easily Register for e-Devlet
As a foreigner living in Turkey, one of the best things you can do to make your life easier is to have access to all of your government-related information online by taking the time to register for e-Devlet. To do this important step, you’ll need to have applied for and received your residence permit card.
The e-Devlet (e-Government) portal is an essential part of Turkish bureaucracy providing fast and secure services from both government and nongovernment institutions. Since its launch in 2008, millions have used the services provided. e-Devlet is an online public services platform where you can access important information such as residency procedures, address registration, tax, and SGK (Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu or Social Security Institution).
By using the system you will also gain access to e-Nabız and MHRS (Merkezi Hekim Randevu Sistemi/Central Physician Appointment System) which is the online portal for everything related to the public health system. Available for Turkish citizens and foreigners who reside in Turkey as well, the portal can be accessed in English by clicking on the English button at the bottom of the page. Once you register for e-Devlet, the system is also available as an application for mobile devices (iOS/Android).
There are two easy ways to register for e-Devlet:
- Using online banking: The most practical method of signing in to e-Devlet is through online banking. If you have a Turkish bank account and are using online banking you can access e-Devlet by clicking on the Online Banking tab on the sign-in page. From there you will be directed to your bank’s log-in page. After logging into your online bank account you will be automatically redirected back to e-Devlet. You can use this method every time you want to sign in.
- Getting your password from PTT: Another way of getting access is by obtaining a single-use password from PTT. All you need to do is find the closest PTT branch, and ask for “e-Devlet şifresi”. You will be charged 2 TL for your first time, and 4 TL if you apply again (for example, if you forget your password). It is recommended to change your password after your first sign-in.
Once you register for e-Devlet you can get connected to government institutions services and municipalities. All documents received from e-Devlet come with a QR code which works as an electronic signature, making these documents valid for all purposes. You can also use e-Devlet to verify documents received from others.
Here are some of the most used services after registering for e-Devlet:
- Getting a criminal record/police certificate (available in multiple languages)
- Checking SGK details for work or public insurance
- Accessing transcripts and other university documents for students
- Applying for Turkish citizenship
- Following court cases
- Accessing tax records
- Paying taxes and fines
- Checking IMEI status and/or registering a foreign phone
What to do if you forget your e-Devlet password?
After you register for e-Devlet, make a safe note of your password. That said, you can still use e-Devlet if you lose the password you got from PTT by using the Online Banking sign-in option. If you do not use online banking, you can set up a new password by clicking on “Forgot your password” and following the steps mentioned in the website. In case these solutions do not work, you can always get a new password from PTT and access e-Devlet with your Foreigner Identification Number (Yabancı Kimlik Numarası) and the new password.
For any issues you encounter while trying to register for e-Devlet, you can call the e-Government Gateway Call Center at 160. We’re also always on hand at Settle Turkey for any inquiries, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us.