2 Easy Ways to Get a Driver’s License in Turkey
Getting a driver’s license in Turkey is a straightforward process. It is possible for foreigners to both convert their driver’s license from their home country as well get a new driver’s license in Turkey. This guide is meant to outline the steps to getting a new driver’s license as a foreigner and to convert your license from your country of origin.
Who can get a driver’s license in Turkey?
Foreign nationals can drive a motor vehicle in Turkey with a valid driver’s licenses obtained in their own country during their stay for a maximum period of six months (if visa requirements are met).
If there is no photograph of the individual on the foreign driver’s license, it is mandatory to carry an international driver’s license or permit (IDL/P). This will only be valid for 180 days once entered the country.
Only motor land vehicles can be used with a foreign driver’s license, and the driver’s license must have a notarized translation serving in Turkey.
Once the 6 months are up, the individual is required to change their foreign driver’s license with one issued in Turkey. It is important to note that this means giving up your original (foreign) driver’s license. If you do not wish to give up your foreign driver’s license you can also take a driver’s license course and test in Türkiye.
Note: Individuals who drive vehicles without meeting the conditions specified in this article with their driver’s licenses obtained from foreign countries will be subjected to a fine according to Turkish Law (2918/39).
Converting your foreign driver’s license to a Turkish driver’s license
- The application to convert one’s drivers license in Turkey can be made to any traffic registration bureau – the headquarters are in Gayrettepe Mah. Prof. Dr. Bülent Tarcan Cad. 7 Beşiktaş, İstanbul. You may find the nearest one by searching ‘En Yakın Trafik Tescil Kuruluşu’.
- The information and documents that must be submitted during the application are determined by the Police Department.
- Applicants are required to be above the age of 18, have at least a primary school diploma, not be convicted and meet the health requirements set by the Republic of Türkiye.
- Driver’s licenses obtained from countries that are not party to the Road Traffic Convention and do not have a bilateral agreement on mutual recognition and exchange of driver’s licenses cannot be exchanged with a Turkish driver’s licenses.
- Driver’s licenses obtained by Turkish citizens from countries that are party to the Road Traffic Convention are replaced with their equivalent or equivalent driver’s licenses
- The foreign driver’s licenses that have been replaced with Turkish driver’s licenses are sent back to the relevant country.
What you need to change your driver’s license in Turkey
- Passport or any other valid photo ID
- Health report
- Document stating that the fee for obtaining a Turkish driver’s license has been paid
- 1 Biometric photograph
- Original international driver’s license and the coloured photocopy of the international driver’s license
- A notarized Turkish translation of the international driver’s license
- Criminal record document
- Document stating blood type
- Notarized translation of a diploma or proof of education (primary school diploma or above)
Getting a New Driver’s License in Turkey
The second option is to Take a Driver’s License course and test in Turkey. It is recommended for people who do not want to give up their original driver’s license from their home country.
People who have resided in Turkey for a minimum of 6 months with a valid residence or student permit are qualified to apply for a Turkish driver’s license.
This option requires you to contact a driving school in Türkiye, but do not fret you will not have to take lessons or the exam in Turkish. There are driver’s license courses and exams offered in English and Arabic. In the courses you will be provided with 14 hours of driving lessons with a qualified teacher in either Turkish, English or Arabic. As of 2023 the fees are as follows.
A Class: 1595 TL
B Class: 3260 TL
C & D Class: 4924 TL
The application to convert a driver’s license must be submitted to a Nüfus Müdürlüğü with the necessary documents at the appointment. Then the driver’s license is sent to the applicant’s address. It is a chipped international license that is valid in 84 countries.
Documents needed for application
- Translated copy of original driver’s license (either from a notary or the consulate)
- Residence permit
- Biometric photos
- Criminal record
- Health certificate
- Blood type document
- Invoice of application fee payment
After receiving your driver’s license, you can hit the road to experience the best that Turkey has to offer. For recommendations on where to go with your new driver’s license in Turkey, check out out article “Best 5 Experiences in Turkey“.